Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Adventures in Anchorage

We are lucky enough to be in Anchorage right now, and why, do you ask? All because my wonderful mother signed us and the rest of my siblings up for a cruise in Alaska! In about an hour we are going to head for the cruise ship, but for the last two days we have been seeing what there is to see in Anchorage.
Here is a little of what we've been doing:


Jeff and I were the first from our family to arrive. This little fur shop is right by our hotel so we headed there to see the furs. I thought I'd try one on and grabbed a hat and a little cow made of fur to pose for the picture. As I was taking off the coat the store worker came from behind and was quick to snatch the coat back to put it on the hanger. We left and I told Jeff, well that was kinda rude! He told me it was because the coat was on SALE for only about $3000! I guess the lady could tell we weren't serious customers.


Walking around the shops we saw another little fur shop, and this one looked a lot less fancy. It just so happens we met and talked to this funny Japanese man for a long time. He was hilarious! He had asked us if we were mormons and we told him "Yeah." He said: "That good. Mormons good guys. I never met a mormon dingaling."
Yeah, he was pretty funny.
We told him we hide all the dingalings in Utah. (Just kidding)


Yesterday we got to take a jetboat up the Talkeetna river. We stopped along the way and posed for this picture. The scenery might look pretty, but watch out! The berries'll kill ya, and one of the plants right behind us will get into your lungs and cause them to bleed. Yeah, we're adventurous.



Next we headed off to the Iditarod headquarters. The Iditarod is a huge sled-dog race from Anchorage to Nome. We got to have a short little ride on a sled on wheels pulled by some sled-dogs. These cute little puppies don't even know what they have in store for them....Or do they?

This was just an awesome truck!
Just kidding, the picture is actually of the mountain in the background. It is Denali, the tallest mountain in North America. The Japanese guy in the previous picture actually said he made it to the top 5 times, a trek that takes about 2-3 weeks to complete! Another name for this mountain in Mt. McKinley.

We're having lots of fun!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Love your post! You're so fun! I had a BLAST hanging out with you two!

Lindsay said...

Hey Kayla! I found your cute blog! It looks like you haven't updated in a while but I'll check back later. Your little girls are so adorable!