About 8 hours earlier I went in to my prenatal appointment and was told I was dilated to a 6 and should go to the hospital because I was probably going to have a baby. I say probably because I didn't feel like I was in labor because I wasn't contracting regularly. So I called Jeff and told him he should come home from work and take me to the hospital. I picked Rachel and Jaki up from my friend who was watching them for me and then took them to the wonderful family who had agreed to take them when I had the baby.
We got to the hospital and the midwife seemed a little skeptical that I would be having the baby that day since I didn't really look like I was in labor. I had a c-section with Rachel and if I wanted to avoid having a c-section again they needed to make sure I was going to progress without too much intervention. After hooking me up to the monitor and finding that I was having contractions somewhat regularly they decided to start me on antibiotics because I was GBS+ and needed them for 4 hours before the baby was born. I got my first dose and then Jeff and I did laps around the hospital floor on and off for those 4 hours trying to make sure I would be able to stay and have the baby. My contractions weren't painful at all so we were just having fun! At 4 hours the midwife found that I had only progressed to a 7. It was far enough that I was for sure going to have the baby, but she decided to break my water to help speed things along.
Then the contractions really started working. I couldn't find any comfortable positions and was gradually starting to hurt. I would try laying on my side, sitting up, standing up, but just couldn't get comfortable. After about an hour I was getting a little worried. I really didn't want to have an epidural (I hate having the needle put into my back and how they make me feel), but I was really hurting. I think my nurse could tell I was getting nervous because she told me to come to bed and she would check me to see if I could push yet. Lucky her, she had just come on shift. I got into bed and found out I was a 10 and could push. Yea! The midwife gowned up quickly, thank goodness (she had just come on shift too). I pushed a few times and our little girl was born an hour and a half after they broke my water.
Jeff and I had both kinda thought we were having a boy so we were surprised to find that she was a girl, but instantly fell in love. She was so chubby and perfect! She started crying and just sounded so healthy. I was so happy with her. She tried to breastfeed and actually latched on! I have had a lot of trouble with breastfeeding and neither of my other babies ever latched on to me so I was very happy that she would try.
Our first night I didn't get a lot of sleep because she was such a hungry girl, but she has been wonderful since then. I have to add in that Jeff did get some sleep: there was one time after feeding her that I laid her in her crib and started to pump and she started to fuss so I tried to wake Jeff up to get her. I started out in a normal voice and gradually started to raise the volume, but then was afraid I would wake up the patients in the rooms next to me or the nurses would be afraid something was wrong. So I tried throwing things at him. He never woke up and I finished pumping and got her back to sleep. When he woke up the next morning and found the box of kleenex and other stuff around him he thought what the heck?! I don't blame him though, he had been really busy at work and I actually thought it was kinda funny.
I have been calling her "her" so much because we didn't think of a name until she was about a day old. Natalie was on our list and we both like it a lot, but Rachel and Jaklyn were named after people in our family and Natalie wasn't. But it fit so well and so that is what we named her. I think it is such a pretty name!
Rachel and Jaki have loved Natalie so much right from the start! They were so excited to hold her and still are. Rachel almost always wakes up in the morning and comes and sits on the couch and asks to hold her after she is done eating. This morning she rocked her back to sleep for me. Rachel can feed her her bottle and even sit her up and burp her afterwards. Jaki sometimes makes me a little more nervous around Natalie, but still does pretty well.
Jeff has totally accepted his role as a dad of 3 girls. Before Natalie was born Rachel and Jaki had been wanting me to paint their nails at least a couple times a week. After she was born they kept asking, but right when I was feeding Natalie. So Jeff painted their nails for them!

He did Rachel's hair really cute one day(one of the few times she had it done in the weeks following the birth) 

and has even given a couple piano lessons even though he says he doesn't remember how to play.

He is such a good dad and I am one lucky wife!
Natalie was blessed about a month ago and the blessing mentioned peace a few times. I have totally felt that. She just makes my heart so happy and at peace and I noticed that before the blessing was given.
We still have our fair share of trials as a family, but we are happy!
Here are some pictures from the hospital:
Am I in labor or what?

Natalie Larson born August 24th at 8:29 pm. 8 lbs 13 oz, 21 1/2 inches long.






Poor Jaki had a runny nose and I snapped this picture when she fell asleep in the hospital room.


A family of FIVE!

Peace out!

6 comments:
congratulations kayla! how are you guys?! looks like you're doing pretty good! natalie is beautiful, and i can't believe you went NATURAL! way to go you awesome girl!
Congrats Kayla! Love the story, thanks for sharing. I am so impressed with you!!!! She is beautiful. I love those cheeks.
Congrats!! She is a cutie!
Congrats Kayla! What a great birth story. She is beautiful!
Great job going natural! How fun 3 girls! I LOVE how Jeff has been helping so much, what a great dad! Love Natalie's birth story!
I love baby Natialie! She can nap in my arms any day! ;)
Love your birth story!
Brandon and I have fun when I am in labor. I am always calm and not in lots of pain until the end...so we just play cards and walk around the hospital...
ANyhooo. I love your girls. They are cute and you and Jeff are lots of fun. We should live closer to each other someday.
Post a Comment